CHURCH ARCHITECTURE

 

A good first description of the Church Architecture can be found in the description of the building for its Grade 1 Listing in 1968.


"Church of All Saints

Church. C12 in origin, remodelled later C15, and completed 1495, Chancel rebuilt 1852 - 1858, general C19 restoration.

Ashlar. Lead Chancel Roof. West Tower, 5-Bay Nave with lean-to Aisles, South Porch, 3-Bay Chancel with 2-Bay Aisles and single-Bay Vestry in South-East corner.Perpendicular style. Tall two-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Moulded West doorway with deeply set, hollow-chamfered traceried Window above. 2-Light transomed, traceried Bell-Chamber openings. Crenellated Parapets with corner Gargoyles and Pinnacles. Low Nave and Aisles with 2-Light square-headed clerestorey Windows and 3-Light arched Aisle Windows.

Blocked Doorway on North side, West end. Taller Chancel with low projecting Chapels which have 3-Light Windows as before.

Blocked South Chapel Door. The Aisle walls have low buttresses which rise as square pinnacles and are connected back to the wall by flying buttresses in the form of Angels, Grotesque Figures and Beasts. Crenellated parapets to aisles and nave.


Interior: 5-bay double-chamfered Arcade on circular Piers (possibly re-used Pevsner). Perpendicular Roofs to Nave and Aisles with good Bosses. Chancel Arch and North Chapel Arcade on semi-circular responds of C12 date and survive from the Crossing which supported a Central Tower.

Blocked Rood Stair on South wall of South Chapel. Perpendicular Chancel and Chapel Screens, all different and slightly altered. Two Medieval Shields in East Window of South Chapel.

Tomb in South Chapel to Sir Thomas Wentworth d. 1675 and his wife: white marble recumbent effigies the former in armour, on a large sarcophagus with relief trophies to sides. The Memorial behind has colonnettes supporting an open segmental pediment with shield and urns. Sandstone cartouche in Chancel to John Phipps of Pule Hill d. 1718 with winged angels at top corners and skull and cross bones at bottom corners.

Box Pews of 1832 - 1835.

N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967

P F Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, for the South Yorkshire Archaeological Service, 1982."

 

This aspect of the project is covered by a number of the themes.