The Church

Our Church, known as "The Minster of the Moors" since the 12th Century, is a beautiful, peaceful, ancient, stately Church situated on a knoll within a large and well kept churchyard, and is well worth visiting.

The building is a monastic foundation and has been a Christian place of worship for well over 1000 years. A Saxon Church was in existence prior to the Conquest founded by the Saxon Lord Ailric who owned many of the surrounding Villages and Townships. His son, Swein, gave the Church to the Monks at Pontefract. The current Grade I Listed Building is 14th Century, but has been altered and reshaped over time.

The Church has a 80ft Tower, which originally stood over the Chancel but was moved to the West end in 1495. It holds 6 Bells; the oldest is nearly 500 years old and the youngest nearly 290 years old. Look out for striking Flying Buttresses, battlemented parapets and pinnacles. The Tombstones, including unusual ledger tombs and table tombs are well worth investigating. There are many original gargoyles still in good condition, with three new sculptured ones, which replace figures. 

On the edge of the Churchyard is the Huskar Monument erected to commemorate the drowning of 26 children in the Huskar Pit Disaster in 1838.

There is much to see in this ancient Church including an intricately carved 14th Century Rood Screen, "Green Men" Roof Bosses, Victorian Box Pews, beautiful Stained Glass (including the modern Huskar Memorial Window), and a wonderful Royal Coat of Arms, carved on both sides with a Lion and Unicorn in reverse.

The Church is also home to some excellent Memorials, including one of the finest examples of a Knight in Armour from 1675 - Sir Thomas Wentworth with Grace, his wife. She is said to be set on a higher level than he is because after his death she married the Earl of Eglinton and became a Countess!

Recent Events

Sunday April 21st 2013 Confirmation candidates with the Bishop of Wakefield

The Dedication of the St Francis Window